Tuesday, January 12, 2016

On Taking This Shot - A Magpie Tale


Photo by Ed Ross

Offered by Tess for this week's Magpie Tales: Mag 301. Find the contributor list on her website.

Ed Ross works with both a half-plate box style and bellows style camera and makes use of period lenses from the 1800s for an aesthetic that is altogether authentic and transformative. He makes tintypes, and says that he distrusts and dislikes computer and digitally produced art.

On Taking This Shot

No wonder I've stood
you up right here in the back
lot under the shade -
or is it the fog?

I forget some things these days.

And your dog whimpers
believing her time
is soon to follow after.

I have a good nose
for attar of rose
and an eye for your likeness
and the feel of you
under my fingers
is of the silk you wear on
your flushing pink skin.

Solitude leaks like
smoke through my stained caps, the gaps
in my tintype wash.

‎January ‎12, ‎2016 7:15 PM

Postscript: I don't know who put the lower blackout square into the picture, discreetly covering the model's nipple. It's hard to believe Ed Ross did, but possibly.

8 comments:

  1. For full disclosure, I hadn't noticed either until my friend questioned the square, which she saw first thing. I don't think the image is antique since Ed Ross is working presently. But perhaps it is in keeping with the period evoked to censor the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also saw the hidden nipple immediately ~ the photographer certainly didn't place it there. Maybe it was Tess!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't fit the Tess I know... Perhaps there is more oversight on British Internet but being weird about nipples doesn't seem to fit with all the weird stuff that does emanate from Britain.

      I think there is a history of hands with this image and there is no way to know how many people are in the thread of its history. Thus at least one other person between Tess and us and Ed Ross. How many more? Ask yourself if you think Ed Ross is the guy who posted this image on the Internet somewhere first. Its name coming to me was "edross.jpg" That doesn't seem too likely coming from Mr. Ross. I also doubt that Tess would name it that because she might want to use another Ed Ross image.

      Delete
  3. haha - I noticed that as well..I guess she was naked and vulnerable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. It seems to me to be a decision made by someone else along the line, possibly because it was placed in a site that frowns on exposed breasts.

      Delete
  4. Nice. I liked this quite a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!