Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Insectivory

Hornet

What would I say to
your face? I am so used to
speaking behind you,
then sneaking away
to discuss you further with
like minded gossips.

Yellow Jacket
You look like Hornets
do to me, ready to strike,
ready to take my
meat right off my plate.

September 10, 2010 8:02 PM

Late summer evening picnics can be a pain in this part of the planet. Around here there are many Hornets, carnivorous and somewhat nasty critters who live under rocks, in patches of ivy or under bamboo thickets, or in piles of junk. I have found colonies in all those places. They have excellent skill at following scent trails in the air and better than average sight for insects too. They also seem not to care at all who is around.

It does not take long for the first one to appear near a plate, especially one that has some savory meat on it. If you let them they will land and begin serious work at dismantling some edge they find the right shape to work on. If you walk away at that point you will get a crowd of Hornets.

Or are they Yellow Jackets? My cursory research, even though I wrote Hornet in the poem, I believe I am describing Yellow Jackets because Hornets don't eat meat it seems. They are virtually indistinguishable as per the images I have posted. Also, it is Yellow Jackets who are always found in colonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!