Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Sniper

A nine line story. We know how these things go because the media and entertainment industries give us accurate infotainment. I received US Army basic training and I too could be a government trained sniper. I rated sharpshooter but just missed expert rating on the M-14. A little practice with the right long range and short range weapons and I could be the shooter. I am confident of it. To be on the other end of the shot of course requires no training at all.



The Sniper

All the points you made
fall away like over cooked
leaves of artichoke.
They're the same drab green
too as the shot rings out close
and the glass explodes.

Then I, smashed back past
my breath, feel the red flower
grow on my torn breast.

August 6, 2010 4:28 PM

2 comments:

  1. I read the words, but I cannot comprehend..... I know what you're saying, but it is as if time slows to a meaningless crawl..... The pain.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy...the artichoke. And the color. All those layers, and my opinion unchanged. Hope you are doing well friend. XO

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!