Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Marsupial Lore


I was reading Dale Favier's poem, Close Of Day *click here* and this stanza arrested me

"Slow and ancient
marsupials are there
in the pools of light.
You can't see them but you can feel
the hesitation of their wrinkled paws,
the tremor of their slow hopeless grope.
They arch their backs
and their blind snouts
nose in the skirts of cloud."



I couldn't leave that alone. I do not intend to trash his remarkable work. Dale is among my very favorite poets. He has published and he has a following among people who believe as I do that he is a superlative poet.

Marsupial Lore

The marsupials
took Australian accents
in this stable, but
I am told elsewhere
they speak Old Russian or else
their Old High German
is better than you or I
could do from a standing start.
They all read Chaucer.

November 19, 2012 12:45 PM



No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!