Thursday, March 1, 2012

Poetic Balance


Walking the tightrope again. People in my circle who can ill afford the drama are engaging again.

Rodney King, brutalized in a confrontation with police, after the riots and all the courtroom drama said this,
"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....They won the battle, but they haven't won the war....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

Rodney King's mug shot.



Poetic Balance

Why do I do this?
Why all the words? Words weren't here,
not always. Just so
the turns in my life -
Here today and then they go
where all the holes go,
like the Beatles went
and two are dead now and me,
I'm half dead as well.

March 1, 2012 12:41 PM

3 comments:

  1. HAHA my friend If only they'd only do what I tell them then the whole world would be better...HAHA as if!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. half dead. i liked this the first time i read it, the Beatles half dead, you half dead, what the Beatles might have represented half dead. but we are yet half alive and so we work we work we work toward compassion.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, the work. But also the love, I think. Or the work is the love. The words...I strive to keep the words close to the love.

    Nothing, absolutely nothing replaces the craft exercised every day, or nearly so. So much that I no longer have to look at the keys at all...I have no patience for poems that take much longer than a half hour to craft.

    As for you, my friends, I practice my love daily too.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!