Monday, December 12, 2011

Looking Past The Hand

Bond Of Union

Maurits Cornelis Escher (17 June 1898 – 27 March 1972), usually referred to as M. C. Escher (nicknamed Mauk) was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture, and tessellations.

Here is a self portrait:
1929

I have had a special relationship with Mauk (me and millions of others) for my whole life, not only loving the puzzles and cleverness of his work, but the way he mostly deals with images of other worlds, even though it is obvious that he can draw this one if he wants to. I think I have some of that going on. I hope I can be forgiven my arrogance.


Looking Past The Hand

I had this good friend
would shove his nose flat using
the palm of his hand,
his eyes wide open,
"Get the picture?" he would ask.

"It's too close!" I'd say.
"Exactly!" He'd say.

Now you ask how I see you,
see your heart so plain.
It's not much I do
but this: look back past your hand,
from out your blue eyes.

January 30, 2010 4:44 AM
changed one word, December 12, 2011 7:19 PM


In honor of Mick D., who has been my friend for over twenty years and who asks, "Get the picture?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!