Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Laurel Wreath

Figure With A Laurel Wreath
Herbert James Draper

Thom writes: "Each week, I post three words. You write something using the words. Then come back and post a link to the contribution with Mr. Linky (but please, link to the exact post, not your blog, by clicking on the exact post title and paste it to Mr. Linky below). As always, there's no hard-and-fast rule that you have to post on Wednesday."

Click on this link *Three Word Wednesday*

This week the three words are: BREACH, EMBER, TENTATIVE.

The Laurel Wreath

My love, my darling
hear me with your truthful heart
not the tentative
uncertain ember
you place in the breach of things
when you think you must.

I shall climb steady
on up the laurel and pick
a wreath, a green crown
to grace your faerie
burst of light - a warm woven
ring to prove my faith.

October 19, 2011 7:39 PM

Wiki says: Herbert James Draper (1863 – 22 September 1920) was an English Classicist painter whose career began in the Victorian era and extended through the first two decades of the 20th century.

Day and the Dawn Star
Herbert James Draper

I have to say I love these exercises for the way they lead me on. This is the first I have known of Draper, found through Google and "Laurel Wreath" Images which brought up his sketch. I love his fantasy and his skill. So, thank you, Thom!

5 comments:

  1. I love your poem! You've really captured the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your poetry always reminds me of the renaissance poetry I read as a child totally beautiful and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dandelion, thank you for your belief in my poem.

    Sheilagh, surely not all my poetry. But you are right that I have a romantic streak. I tend to worship my lovers and I think this is proper behavior when you remember that God shines in us all. It is not you human as my lover that I worship but you Goddess who looks out my lover's eyes, You are who I worship.

    It is a challenge of course to remember that when you are or I am crabby or confused or otherwise deflected or diverted.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!